Di seguito un esempio di telefonata in lingua inglese con espressioni tipiche come, rispondere, presentarsi, chiedere di qualcuno o qualcosa.
Examples of English telephone expressions (esempi di espressioni telefoniche inglesi)
- Hello, Sarah Smith/208538
- Hello, Smith & Sons
Asking for a person
- Could I speak to Sarah Smith?
Saying who you are
- Hello, this is John.
- “Could I speak to Sarah Smith?” “Speaking.”
Asking who somebody is
- Who is that? Who am I speaking to?/ Wo is that speaking?
- May I ask who’s calling please?
Asking for a number
- Could I have extension 625?
- What’s the (dialling/area) code for London?
If somebody is not there
- I’m afraid, she’s not in at the moment
- Can I take a message? / Can I leave a message?
- I’ll ring/call again later
- Could you ask her to call/ring me back?
Asking people to wait
- Just a moment / Hold the line / Hold on a moment / Hang on
- Sorry to keep you waiting.
- I think you’ve got the wrong number.
- Could you speak up? It’s a bad line. / I’ll hang up and call again.
- I rang you earlier but I couldn’t get through.
- Could you spell it for me?
- I didn’t catch the name.
- “How could I reach her?” ” You can contact her on her mobile phone.”
- I’ve dialed the wrong number.